On the Alpha Course, they suggest 5 ways to know how God is guiding us (all cleverly packaged as the 5 CSs):
- Common Sense – How does your personal experience and knowledge lead you?
- Circumstantial Signs – Do things happening around us point to an obvious next step?
- Counsel of the Saints – How does our community experience and knowledge lead us?
- Command of Scripture – What does the Bible say?
- Compelling Spirit – Where is the Holy Spirit pointing?
Of course, prayer should be implicit for all Christians, because we want our choices to be aligned with God’s purposes.
Lord, who may live on your holy mountain? The one whose way of life is blameless, who does what is righteous. [Psalm 15:1,2]