Vision and Values
Where we want to be
Our Local Vision
Our aim is to bring the Good News of God’s love to everyone in the parish; promoting Christian Fellowship, Teaching and Service.
We want to deepen our understanding of the Bible, grow in faith and hope, help others to know God’s love, serve the local church and community, develop mission locally as well as support mission partners further afield.
St Mary’s is a Welcoming Church, and we now want become an Inviting Church:
- Looking for new and stimulating ways to Invite current members of our church family
into a deeper relationship with God.
- Looking for new and innovative ways to Invite in people of all ages
who do not currently worship with us.
- Looking for new and energising ways to Invite the wider community
to engage with us through Parish Events.
How we’re going to get there
Our Vision in Action
As we work towards realising our vision, we’ve identified the following things we need:
- A varied and accessible pattern of Worship, Prayer and Bible Study in church, the church centre, people’s homes, residential homes and local schools
- Provision of pastoral care through a committed pastoral team, which includes regular services, visits and bible study in local residential care homes
- A strong musical tradition and enjoyment of worshipping through music
- Family work
- A welcoming and interesting program of social activities
- Working co-operatively as members of Christians Together in the Newbury Area (CTNA) and the Newbury Deanery
- Close working relationship with local schools, especially our church school (Shaw cum Donnington Primary School), the Parish Council, the Village Hall Committee and local organisations
To facilitate much of our work, we are committed to looking after the fabric of St Mary’s church and the church centre, which provides a well-regarded space for many community activities.
We worship God
Father, Son and Holy Spirit
We read the Bible to hear what God is saying to us.
Our relationship with Jesus is through prayer
Jesus came to serve, not to be served, so we serve others.